Hertz logo; Author: The Hertz Corporation; Attribution: Public domain
Reviewing the terms and conditions displayed when searching for a quote online from Hertz, reveals everything about the fees levied by this international behemoth. Essentially, their quote includes:
- All taxes, including airport taxes and surcharges if applicable,
- Stated mileage allowance (generally unlimited),
- One way fees, if applicable,
- Vehicle registration fee,
- All other fixed fees relating to the booking
- For example vehicle drop fees, and or recovery fees.
Cost of Car Rental Insurance Hertz and other Add-ons
Online quotes from Hertz do not include variable charges, which will accrue at the Rental Agreement stage, and may include:
- Refueling charge
- Rental car insurance (expanded later),
- Child seats or booster seats (available after confirmation for generally $13.00 US per day plus local tax and surcharges),
- Additional Drivers: $13.50 per day/driver (at most locations) capped at $189.00 per rental/driver,
- Extra miles (if your rental has limited mileage, each additional mile over the limit will be charged at $0.25),
- Age Surcharge: Up to $30.00 per day for drivers 20 to 24 years of age (18 to 24 in Michigan and New York),
- Any extras signed up for upon arrival, e.g. vehicle snow equipment, GPS,
- All extras and additional services will attract additional local percentage taxes and surcharges. These vary according to the state
Rental Car Insurance Coverage Options Offered by Hertz
Essentially, US laws do not allow rental car insurance cover from Hertz or any other rental companies. What is on offer instead is the hideously expensive option known as Loss Damage Waiver. In most states, this applies in the event of any other loss or damage to the car, regardless of fault.
The renter’s financial responsibility extends to the full value of the car at the time of rental, less its salvage value, plus expenses for towing, storage impound fees, an administrative fee and a reasonable charge for loss of use. If responsibility differs in the state in which you rent, paragraph 4, of the Rental Agreement will state this.
If Car Rental Insurance Hertz Leave you confused…
Considering the average rental agreement includes 14 pages of verbiage, you really need to have your brain on when signing up at the rental kiosk. It doesn’t have to be that complicated if you purchase real Rental Car Damage Insurance from Bonzah. You’ll be buying primary rental car cover for as little as $7.99 a day, and you are covered for up to $35,000 in the event of a mishap.